Wailea Daily Photo

Wailea Daily Photo

Photoblog of Maui, Hawaii

5/20/07

The Famous Lahaina Banyan Tree

This immense Lahaina Banyan tree was planted in 1873 as a baby tree. It's birth home was India. Now it's grown with 12 major trunks besides the huge original core trunk to a height of about 50 feet. It stretches over a 200 foot acre, and it fills one city block.

I photographed this tree in the early hours before the artists and craftsmen set up their tables with their colorful creations for the Lahaina Art Society weekend event. Around 9 am, the people and buzzing commerce will change this peaceful scene.

There are lots of stories about what has happened under this Banyan Tree through the passing years. I've read the sailors were greeted by local prostitutes under this tree as they left their whaling boats in the nearby harbor, and the hanging vines were used by kids to swing through the branches like Tarzan.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lovely tree with many stories to tell, the last time I was there about 4 months ago, I saw many tourists, drug deals, artists, religious people talking about the Lord. All right under the beautiful Banyan. It was interesting to see many diffrent types of people and events all going on at once!

May 20, 2007  
Blogger Z said...

I love these trees! I'm glad that this one is doing so well in Hawaii!

May 21, 2007  
Blogger Olivier said...

Il est majestueux cet arbre, il meriterait une photo en format panoramique. Superbe


It is majestic this tree, it would deserve a photograph in panoramic format. Superb

May 21, 2007  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

I like coming here : u have so much to tell that's related to India, my native country. I have always found banyans a little spooky with their roots hanging like that . But they are considered holy back in India.

May 21, 2007  
Blogger photowannabe said...

I was unaware that the Banyan was from India and considered holy.
I love all the roots coming down and can picture kids pretending they are Tarzan.

May 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home