Wailea Daily Photo

Wailea Daily Photo

Photoblog of Maui, Hawaii

6/7/07

Maui Cows

It's not commonly known in these 'tourist' times that Maui was once a cattle ranching island. There are still a couple of big, famous ranches left, and if you travel upcountry Maui, you will see lots of grazing cattle in the fields. If you visit the old cowboy town, Makawao, you will see signs that you're in cowboy country. Maui Cattle Company is well known as the best tasting beef anywhere.


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger GMG said...

I'm impressed with your multiple blogs: I wish I had time and abbility to handle such an universe. It's amazing the cow story, but the picture remembers me of a «Cow Parade» we had in Lisbon last year. One day I'll post some of those pictures. Today I'm posting on Swiss countryside, but surprisingly didn't catch any cows...

June 07, 2007  
Blogger photowannabe said...

Leather boots on the cow...I wonder if its a relative....

June 07, 2007  
Blogger Olivier said...

le paysage est magnifique, cette lande est immense. toute cette place pour une vache en carton ;o)).
Bon weekend


the landscape is splendid, this moor is immense. all this place for a cow out of paperboard ;O)). Good weekend

June 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog

June 08, 2007  
Blogger Lavenderlady said...

This photo reminded me of a video I saw a long time ago that shared information about the cattle herds in Hawaii. They told how when the cattle ranches were first started, cowboys from Mexico were brought to teach the Hawaiians how to herd them. True story???

June 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home