Wailea Daily Photo

Wailea Daily Photo

Photoblog of Maui, Hawaii

6/4/07

Solitary Sentinel of Makena

I've photographed lots of feral cats as I've hiked Maui, but this one I love because of the contrast of the white against the dark. This cat also has unusual markings with a black nose and a black tail! Makena Beach is ringed with kiawe trees which have sharp thorns, so it's wise to wear sandals or flip flops when walking near these trees. Even then, I've had a kiawe thorn pierce a rubber flip flop. I'm not going to describe the pain of stepping on one without a shoe!

The first seed came from Paris, no less! Father Bachelot, the first Catholic priest in the Hawaiian Islands, planted a tree that he had raised from a seed he had brought with him from Paris.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Snoskred said...

Hey, reading you on google reader via the US Blogs community. ;)

I really am glad I found you and am greatly enjoying your blog, I thought I would just stop in and say so. I like to let people know when I think they're doing a great job. :) I went to Hawaii many many years ago and almost got drowned by a wave but other than that I remember the place fondly and would like to return one day. ;)

Until then, I shall enjoy your daily photos. ;)

Snoskred
http://snoskred.blogspot.com/

June 04, 2007  
Blogger isa said...

Love the cat, but can't figure out that tree! Are those the roots or branches? And where are the leaves? Weird!

June 04, 2007  
Blogger Olivier said...

tres belle photo de ce chat. on dirait une statue égyptienne


very beautiful photograph of this cat. an Egyptian statue would be said

June 05, 2007  
Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

I tried wearing flip flops last summer and some random piece of broken glass on the street cut my toes. Ouch!

NEVER AGAIN! I will be that tourist-looking guy wearing shorts and sneakers around town. Laugh at me if you must but I won't be crying at the end of the day from bleeding toes.

June 05, 2007  
Blogger Mauigirl said...

Love the cat!

June 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home