Wailea Daily Photo

Wailea Daily Photo

Photoblog of Maui, Hawaii

5/3/07

Pohaku with Lei

The Hawaiian name of Pohaku translates to stones, and stones were of great importance in old Hawaii. There were all kinds of revered stones with different purposes, and usually their location was considered top secret information. Some pohaku stones were the destination for women in labor who would give birth around or on them. Some pohaku were prophetic, and some were for good for luck in fishing. I have one of the rare books on pohaku in my library.

This pohaku isn't hidden, and it sits across from 505 Front Street near a parking lot in Lahaina. I often wonder about it. The reason: I have traveled the world photographing stones of all shapes and sizes and pondering the significance and information latent in stones.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sacred indeed,an interesting topic ...one that many should take the time to explore....fascinating once you learn more of the history. If you like history, study the history of Pohaku or stones. Stones have a strong importance in many cultures, even in modern times,and a topic truly worth the time to study!

Great Blog idea by the way :)

May 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A nice photo. I read your narrative and enjoyed that too.

May 03, 2007  
Blogger angela said...

Very interesting.
I can't quite make it out but is thestone carved or am I seeing shadows? From the garland I'm assuming that this must be special..
Angela

May 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting photo and context. I like your blog!
And I envy you of your beautiful surroundings...
Your blogroll of ohotoblogs is great, too. How long did it take you to collect them all? I'll have a good look around.
Thanks for adding me to your friends!

May 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home