Wailea Daily Photo

Wailea Daily Photo

Photoblog of Maui, Hawaii

4/6/07

Backyard Friend

Ming The Merciless posted a question on his New York City Daily photo blog about what kind of animals are in our own backyards or something like that. So here is my photo of a hiding spider for Ming...and for all of you! Can you see it and it's web? The spider has taken a bit of white thread and woven it into the web for some special reason which only spiders know. Isn't that funny? Spiders blend very well with their environment, and the strands of their web are very strong. I've tried spraying water on some spider webs who were in the wrong place, such as our walkway which isn't so much fun to walk into, and these strands withstand a strong water spray! You have to take a broom or rake or something else to break the strands! As far as I know, we don't have any deadly spiders in Hawaii, although spiders were recently featured on the Lost television show filmed in Hawaii which were extremely deadly!

Here's a link about how special Hawaii spiders are!

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Hi Kuanyin,
I can't see the spider but I do see the thread. In my backyard I have a little gecko (lizard), maybe even two of them, that I am very fond of.

April 06, 2007  
Blogger photowannabe said...

The spider is hiding so well that I can't find it.
Sorry but spiders really aren't my backyard friends. not fond of them at all.
Thanks for visiting my blog and all of your nice comments. Come again anytime.

April 06, 2007  
Blogger kuanyin333 said...

I swear this spider is really here...I'm not pulling a Nathalie! It's just that this spider is so very good at hiding!

April 06, 2007  
Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

Thanks for the reference. I looked at the photo (enlarged) twice and couldn't find the spider. I can see the web though.

I'm sorry I cannot reciprocate since I don't have a backyard. :-)

April 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home