Wailea Daily Photo

Wailea Daily Photo

Photoblog of Maui, Hawaii

3/2/07

Another Maui Mystery

This large stone sculpture sits in front of a fenced-in home on a non-major Kihei, Maui street. I have driven by it countless times in the last 16 years I've lived on Maui. Friends and family speculate on what it represents: a lizard, a dinosaur, a snake, or a Maui-the-demigod fish hook are some of the ideas put forth by others.

It sits near a overgrown gully (which you can't see in this photo), and many years ago, a Portuguese elder who grew up on Maui told me that gullies are considered negative energy portals--of course, her input fueled the mystery for me. She said she would never live a gully. Why has this sculpture been placed here? By whom? The current owners bought the property behind it quite a number of years ago after the former tenant passed on, and the sculpture was already there. Who knows how long it's been there. It is a Maui mystery to be sure.

Technorati Tags:, Wailea Daily Photo Blog,,

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I love mysteries like this. It's worth going door to door in the neighborhood and trying to dig up what info you can. Also, you might be able to find the children of the former resident who could tell the story. Anyway, it's nice as it is, even as a mystery!

Hey, thanks so much for voting for me in the blog poll!
-Kim

March 02, 2007  
Blogger Nathalie H.D. said...

I'll go for the fish hook!

March 02, 2007  
Blogger kuanyin333 said...

What makes this story even weirder is that a long time ago, my partner and I were bicycling up this street when we hear LOUD screams coming from the house behind, and so we dropped our bikes on the road and gingerly approached the house...we didn't know if someone was being harmed, or what we could do to help. We saw that the window pane on the door had been broken, and the door handle turned when we opened it. Inside we found an hysterical woman who had been concerned about her neighbor. It was she who had broken in to discover her neighbor dead on her bed. So we called 911 and attempted to calm down this freaked out woman. We never did find out the cause of death, but my partner wants me to let the mystery lie. I'm more Nancy Drew-ish than him! :-)

March 02, 2007  
Blogger Dsole said...

Oh my! that scares me!

March 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home