Wailea Daily Photo

Wailea Daily Photo

Photoblog of Maui, Hawaii

10/7/08

Colorful Characters of Maui

We've noticed this man hitching a ride around Maui for many years, and my partner has engaged him in conversation on several occasions because we're so curious about him. We have an uncanny ability to spot him in the most unlikely places--this guy really gets around!!

Our nickname for him is the Stovepipe Man because he often wears a stovepipe hat, although he does change his hat from time to time. We think his real name may be David, but we're not sure. He's such a mystery and colorful character I even added him (in a fictionalized way) to my yet unfinished book about Maui titled, "Under A Maui Moon".

While driving in Kahului the other day, we whizzed past him AGAIN and long enough for me to whip out my camera to finally get a photo of him.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

Those sort of characters are what really makes a place aren't they!....imagine if the colourful disappeared. Thanks for visiting me at Sydney Daily Photo while I was away. I’m back from Queensland now and transmission should resume as normal.

October 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home